What is a Speech-Language Pathologist?
What is a Communicative Disorders Assistant?
University and College Programs
Services in Ontario
Accent Adjustment
Acquired Brain Injury
Cleft Palate
Dysphagia (Swallowing Disorder)
Learning Disabilities
Parkinson's Disease
Selective Mutism (Reluctant Speaker)
Speech, Language, & Swallowing
Stuttering (Fluency)
Username :
Password :

Forgot Your Password?

Services in Ontario

There are many options for getting help with hearing, speech, language, and swallowing.

  • Use OSLA’s Find a Practitioner to find a private practitioner or service agency near you. Please note that private services are not covered through OHIP. However, many private health insurance plans offer some coverage of speech therapy services. Furthermore, there are many charitable organizations that offer financial assistance to families.
  • View this flyer regarding the Communication Disabilities Access Canada, or visit their communication access information here

Public funding varies, depending on the patient/client’s condition, with access to publicly funded services inconsistent across the Province. Public funds can cover the following for residents of Ontario:

Depending on the condition of the patient or client, services of Ontario’s speech-language pathologists and audiologists can be available in the following, but availability varies throughout Ontario:

  • Hospitals
  • Rehabilitation Facilities
  • Long Term Care Facilities
  • Mental Health Facilities
  • Schools
  • Community/Home Care
  • Children’s Treatment Centres
  • Private Clinics
  • Private Individual Practitioners

Private payment options exist through private practitioners. These services could be funded through extended health insurance plans, auto insurance claims, or by personal payment. Many extended health care plans provide for speech-language pathology. Patients/Clients have also accessed services through the support of community charities, agencies, and government services, some of which are listed below.

Assistance to Children with Severe Disabilities (ACSD), Ministry of Community and Social Service 

The Assistance to Children with Severe Disabilities Program helps parents with some of the extra costs of caring for a child who has a severe disability. Parents can get between $25 and $440 a month to help with costs such as travel to doctors, parental relief, special shoes and clothes, assistive devices, and prescription drugs.


  •  A parent or a legal guardian whose child is under 18 years of age, lives at home, and has a severe disability may be eligible.
How to Apply:
  • Contact your regional office and ask them for an application form.
  • Complete the application form and return it to the regional office along with any documentation required.
  • A Special Agreements Officer will review your application and will contact you if they need more information. 
  • You will receive a letter saying whether or not you qualify for a grant and, if so, how much you will receive.
For more information, click here.

Special Services at Home Program (SSAH), Ministry of Community and Social Services 

The Special Services at Home program helps families who are caring for a child with a developmental or physical disability. The program helps families pay for special services in or outside the family home as long as the child is not receiving support from a residential program.  


  • live in Ontario
  • need more support than most families can provide
  • are living at home with their family, or
  • if they are not living at home with their family and are not being helped by other residential services 

For more information, click here.

President's Choice Children's Charity


  • Child (18 and under) with a diagnosed physical or developmental disability
  • Family income $70,000 or less
  • Require help with mobility equipment, environmental modification or therapy

Jennifer Ashleigh Children's Charity


  • Family income $60,000 or less
  • More information can be found here.

March of Dimes


  • Aphasia Services
  • Stroke / Acquired Brain Injury Services
  • Assistive Devices Program
  • ... and many more!
Quota International 

Quota International, volunteers brought together by the common desire to assist people in need, started in Buffalo, New York in 1919. Quotarians of both men and women are known especially for their service to deaf, hard-of-hearing, and speech-impaired individuals and disadvantaged women and children. Quota members share the values of serving and encouraging others, developing friendships, and promoting international understanding. Visit their website here

Children First

Children First provides individualized services to families with children up to six years of age, who are at risk for or experiencing mental health challenges or developmental concerns. Services are voluntary and at no cost to the family. Services are available in English and French. Translation services may be accessed as required.

For more information click here

Royal Canadian Legion

Its primary purpose to provide access to computer technology and health information for the benefit of veterans and other clients. This will provide individuals with opportunities to maintain and improve their health and wellness. Legion branches, being widely dispersed throughout Ontario, are ideal locations to build supportive environments that encourage healthy lifestyles.

For more information click here coordinates a network of Ontario agencies funded by the Ministry of Community and Social Services and the Ministry of Children and Youth Services to provide respite services to individuals with disabilities and their families or caregivers. These agencies collaborate to ease access to services and information for individuals with disabilities in Ontario. For more information, visit the website and select your local area.

Children's Respite Flexible Funding 

The Children's Respite Flexible Funding is from the Ministry of Children and Youth Services to serve as an enhancement for families to access respite services in their community. Families can only apply for these funds once a year (between January and mid February) and there is no guarantee of the availability of these funds in future years. 

The purpose of the Children's Respite Flexible Fund is to help caregivers get the flexible and individualized support their family needs in order for them to take intervals of time off from their care-giving duties. 

The Children's Respite Flexible Funding application will be made available online starting January 1, 2015. 


  • Children that are up to the age of 18 years
  • Children must have an official diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder (proof of diagnosis is required)
  • Children must live in York Region, Simcoe County, Durham Region and Haliburton, Kawartha & Pine Ridge 

For more information and application form, please click here.

Disability Tax Credit

Tax credits and deductions are available for individuals with disabilities or their caregivers. For information about the Disability Tax Credit, whether or not you are eligible, and how to apply, click here! 

Northern Health Travel Grants

If treatment is not available locally, you may be able to claim the cost of travelling to needed treatment centres. Accommodation costs for long-distance travel (80km or more) may also be covered. 

For more information, click here.

Ontario Works Health Benefits

If you are receiving Ontario Works, you may be eligible for certain health-related benefits, including coverage for assistive devices. Assistive devices can include both hearing aids and speech devices. Ontario Works may also help you with the cost of an assessment for an assistive device. For more information and to find out what is available to you, please contact your Ontario Works office.

Click here for our brochure on Finding Services in Ontario.

Feedback | Share This Page | Privacy & Terms | Practitioner Login
© 2010 Copyright. OSLA. All Rights Reserved. | Powered by Blue Lemon Media